Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum and Chase the train Tour
Saturday, October 5, 8:00 AM - Till ??
Leader: Bob Blevins, Contact Info: Cell: 423-718-8123, Email: bob@ChattanoogaPhoto.org
Meetup Location and Time: 8:00 am - Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, 4119 Cromwell Rd, Chattanooga TN 37421
Description and Directions: The Summerville Steam Special is scheduled to depart the depot at 9:00 am. We will leave the depot at 8:30 am. These times are approximate guidelines. Some of you may want to skip one here and there to ensure they make it to the next stop they are interested in having photos.
- Westside of Missionary Ridge Tunnel by 9:00. The train usually gets there by 9:15.
- (Requires parking and climbing a small, but steep embankment and a short hike)
- Holtzclaw Ave. at National Cemetery by 9:30 am.
- (Will require leaving Missionary Ridge quickly. If the train has already gone by we can go to the next spot.)
- Rossville at Peerless Woolen Mill (or Old Rossville Mills) by 9:45 am.
- McFarland Gap Rd. overpass by 10:00 am.
- (Limited parking at the gas station. There is a small place to park across the street, on the same side as overpass)
- Chickamauga Battlefield at Wilder Tower by 10:45 am.
- (I recommend getting there ASAP for parking, especially if we have a large group)
- This is where the schedule varies because sometimes the train will stop at Oakwood Baptist Church in Chickamauga and let passengers off, back the train up, do a drive-by so the passengers can get photos of the train, then re-board the train. Other times, they will stop at North West Georgia Technical College on the return from Summerville. Being early October, I would think that if they stop it would be at Oakwood on the trip down.)
- Rock Spring at the old Dr. Office by 11:15 am.
- Lafayette, Ga. There is one spot here that I like, but it is dependent on fall colors.
- Trion, Ga. at Mt. Vernon Mills. There is a bridge there that makes for a good photo op.
- (Should be plenty of time to get there from the Rock Spring location before the train arrives.)
- Summerville Train Depot. I rarely take pics here because there are always a lot of people milling about when the train comes. But there is a turntable for turning the engine around)
Return photo ops;
- Downtown Chickamauga;
- Two good locations here; Either at the old train depot or at Crawfish springs where there is a bridge crossing the spring.
- McFarland Gap Rd. In case it was missed on the trip down, this location is good from either direction. Probably better on the return trip because it is an uphill grade for the train, and they usually produce more steam then.
- Bridge over Chickamauga Creek just before the train returns to TVRR depot. This spot is best photographed on the return as well.
Directions: Highway 153 to Exit 3, Slight right on Jersey Pike, right on Cromwell Rd, follow to TVRM on right.
Suggested Equipment: Wide-angle and telephoto lenses, tripod, waterproof boots (for wet grass)
Food Available: Bring your own snacks and water.